This is the kind of conversation I would much rather have over a grande vanilla latte so that I can hear your responses, see your reactions, and discuss your thoughts.
Mostly because this subject matter is an uncontested #1 on the list of Things I’m Most Passionate About in the Whole Wide World.
But since we’re having this conversation across the internets, and you can’t talk back in real time, I’m left to make a couple of assumptions. Assumptions which could totally be off base, but I think it’s safe to suppose you might raise your hand at one of the following descriptions.
- You’re a church going type of person, who is considered one of the regulars at your weekly bible study, but you secretly wonder if there’s something you’re missing about the whole Jesus thing. Mostly because even though you believe in God and all that…your day-to-day life isn’t really affected by that belief.
[Oh by the way- I don’t make these assumptions with a holier-than-thou-like face. Frankly, I’ve made these speculations because at one time or another, I’ve nailed every one of these bullet points. So there’s that.]
- You’ve never stepped foot into a church, but you know there’s got to be more to life than the current existence of chaotic mornings, road rage, laundry piles, and Netflix. (Okay, so obviously I’ve been to church a few times…so I fit this bullet in terms of the chaotic mornings, road rage, laundry piles, and Netflix.)
- You’re a die hard Jesus follower, who can’t figure out why you read this blog.
- You’re a woman who would undoubtedly list your values in this order: God, family, career. Because that’s the order you really-truly want…but deep down you know your real life doesn’t play out like that.
- You’re someone who grew up on scripture memory and church camp, but you grew out of it, and have begun to wonder if Christianity is all it’s cracked up to be.
- You don’t fit any of these descriptions, but you are interested in knowing Jesus. Like…really knowing him, not just knowing about him.
Whatever the case may be – I want to invite you to try a sort-of-different Bible study thing with me. (Hold on, don’t roll your eyes yet.)
If the picture in your head is a workbook and a DVD series, or if your first thought is all those fill-in-the-blank homework pages, let’s wipe that slate and start from scratch.
There is a time and place for that style of Bible study, but what I want to share with you is a practical Bible reading method that cuts out the middle man and takes you straight to the heart of scripture. Learning about Jesus from someone else is undoubtedly valuable, but getting to know him one-on-one is the life-changing adventure you and I were made for.
Join us on the bleachers!
Good, sound biblical teaching is necessary for us as disciples of Christ, but we are also instructed to study scripture for ourselves…so we can test the words we hear against truth (1 John 4:11, 2 Thessalonians 5:21).
That’s why the sole purpose of this sort-of-different Bible study thing is my invitation to you to discover how to read the Bible for yourself with the expectation that God will speak to us personally through his Living Word.
(Who knows…we might just have the audacity to believe God’s word is relevant to our daily lives.)
You’ve probably heard it said at some point that our souls can only be satisfied in Jesus, right? Maybe I’m the oddball here, but when I first heard that, it sounded fantastic…but I had no idea how to get those fluffy words to actually affect my everyday, ordinary life.
How do I even get my soul connected to Jesus in order to be satisfied by him?
That’s the problem this weird new type of *Bible study* aims to solve.
Consider this your official (and very personal – because don’t forget we’re talking over lattes right now) invitation to join me as we develop a practice of actively seeking to know God through scripture.
As we make this an intentional practice, what once seemed like good Christian theory will become our practical experience.
Frankly I would like to tell you that this will happen automatically with no disruption to your schedule. So just go on with life as you know it because Jesus will blink you into the person you were created to be.
But that would be a lie, and since you would eventually figure that out, I run the risk that this would be our last coffee together. So let’s go with the truth instead: you won’t accidentally bump into this intimate knowledge of Jesus in the middle of the busy. You and I will have to make some kind of adjustment to our schedule to prioritize this soul space.
And this is not because we need to follow some religious *rule*. Instead, it’s common sense that the more time you spend with someone, the more you know about them. It’s about seeking to connect with God because you know your life depends on it.
You become who you really are in Christ as you find your true identity in Him. It’s a process that happens over time as you develop the practice of building your faith by spending time with the Word…
So move the laundry over…and join me.
Here’s what we’ll do….
When you sign up, I’ll deliver the following 3 things straight to your inbox:
- Instruction guide, which walks you through the process
- Daily journal page for you to print/copy. This page includes questions that will help you lean into what the scripture says.
- Reading plan for Galatians (created by WORDView)1
You’ll have two options to join a class.
(1) You can join us at Faith UMC for five Tuesday mornings, from Tuesday, September 13th to Tuesday, October 12th. If that’s up your alley: REGISTER HERE
(2) You can download the free printables (see the box below) & then come hang out with us on a live video call on Google Hangouts for five Wednesday evenings at 6:30-8:00pm from Wednesday, September 14 to Wednesday, October 12. We will do the same thing we do in class on Tuesdays…except you can sit at your kitchen table or plop down on your own couch.
When you sign up to receive the Soul Space instruction guide and daily journal. Within 24 hours you’ll also receive an email with an invitation to join the video calls. All you have to do is click ACCEPT as your RSVP at the top of the email.
Do not be intimidated by the appearance of technological fanciness. This is so super easy! (I assure you, if it’s simple enough for me to figure out- you won’t have an issue.)
Then, when Wednesday, September 14th rolls around, you go back to this email and click JOIN VIDEO CALL. You could also add the call to your calendar when you accept the invitation if that’s easier for you.
Join us on the bleachers!
1 WORDView Reading Plans http://www.wordview.org/reading-plans.html
Join us on the bleachers!
This is where you sign up for your own special seat on the bleachers.
You'll get every new blog post hand-delivered to your inbox, and you'll also get the *cool, free stuff* reserved only for subscribers.
(It's sort of like VIP, club-level tickets.) (Except totally free.)