My husband has now officially been alive for 57 years.
Thankfully he ordered his birthday present two weeks ago. Because trust me. It’s just best if he picks out his own gift.
I really wanted to write a list of 57 Reasons He’s Awesome, but then I realized…ain’t nobody got time for that.
Because 57 is a lot.
I also thought it might be fun to make a 70’s list of sorts, to commemorate his “decade” if you will. But I discovered the only thing I really know about the 70’s is that there were hippies, and Jimmy Carter, and the Carpenter’s, and my original birthday.
So I put my back-up plan into effect.
14 Best Favorite Things About Larry Dalke.
1. He can figure out how to do anything in the world. He’s an electrician, an engineer, a weatherman, plumber, handyman, and painter. He also knows how to sew and cook.
2. Larry would make an awesome elementary school teacher. He not only understands 3rd grade math, he is the bomb-diggity when it comes to explaining it to
(Clearly the man was made for me.)
3. He makes homemade chicken noodle soup when I’m sick. And sometimes when I’m not.
4. Larry is an A-1, First-Rate, Super-Amazing Dad. There’s so much in that statement, that I can’t even do his fatherhood justice with words. He’s just everything you want your dad to be. He’s always there for you…like, when you need the pitcher’s mound adjusted and stuff.
5. He’s not a faker. Ever. He’s not impressed with titles, power, or money. He is who he is, and he’ll tell it just the same.
6. He is the backbone of wisdom and discernment in this household. You know how the book of Proverbs is full of examples contrasting the foolish person and the wise person? Well, hello, this is the story of our marriage.
7. He is a fan of the underdog, the powerless, and the people who no one else sees. He just has a great-big giving heart. I always thought I was the more generous soul in this union. But then I realized “giver” and “spender” are two very different things.
8. Larry always thinks before he talks. Which is quite a foreign concept to me. But he’s kind of my hero in this regard.
9. He painstakingly looks at all options, and every detail of every option, before making a decision. This presents somewhat of a rub when such decisions are the purchasing kind.
For example, I can walk onto a car lot, pick something out, and we’re good to go. Larry, on the other hand, must make spreadsheets. And check out Consumer Reports. And compare gas mileage. By the time he’s ready to buy the car, I’ve already forgotten I wanted one. (Which could very well be his strategy.)
10. Larry is my rock when it comes to faith. He might not talk as loudly as I do about Jesus, but I can assure you, it’s probably just because I talk enough for both of us.
11. He’s just the greatest husband in the world. For me, anyway. And I didn’t intend for this to be a sappy post, but there is no truer truth for our marriage than this: I only need to look at my husband, to know that God loves me. Because Larry loves me all the time, and always, even when I’m acting unlovable-like.
12. Okay, I admit it. He IS sort of funny. He makes me laugh every single day of my life. (Except on the days that he doesn’t, which may or may not coincide with my moments of increased irritability.)
13. He still watches Grey’s Anatomy with me. Even though he’s been checked out of it since way before Meredith and McDreamy got married. That’s love in its highest form.
14. He looks like Walter White (after Walt shaved his head). And that right there…is just awesome.
Happy Birthday, Larry Dalke!
I hope you know how much you’re loved (and more importantly, respected).
p.s. I’m making your favorite lemon cake again. So cross your fingers.
Join us on the bleachers!
This is where you sign up for your own special seat on the bleachers.
You'll get every new blog post hand-delivered to your inbox, and you'll also get the *cool, free stuff* reserved only for subscribers.
(It's sort of like VIP, club-level tickets.) (Except totally free.)